The Spotter's Guide to Cocktail Glasses

Cocktail glasses now come in a large variety of shapes and sizes. Some are designed to better serve certain drinks than others and an experienced bartender will want to have several kinds of glass.

Here are some of the classic cocktail glasses that you will see at a bar anywhere.

Cocktail Shaker
Shakers come in two styles, the Cobbler shaker (image) and the Boston Shaker, a metal cup that fits into a mixing glass. The Cobbler has a more attractive look but the Boston shaker has better seal and is easier to work with. You might not need a glass- just drop a straw in your shaker tin and drink your cocktail.

Shot Glass
Can be drunk straight from the glass or used a measure for spirits to be poured into a cocktail.

Brandy Snifter
When you hold the balloon shaped glass, the alcohol warms and evaporates, while the narrow top traps the aromas. Used to serve brown liquors straight.

Collins Glass
Often used to serve mixed drinks, particularly a Tom Collins. Narrower and taller than a highball glass, holds about 10-14 fl oz.

Hurricane Glass
The hurricane glass holds about 20 fl oz and is usually used for tropical drinks and frozen drinks.

Coupe Glass
Originally designed for holding champagne, sours like the Ward 8 look great with a garnish in this glass.

Irish Coffee Mug Glass
Named for the Irish Coffee, this glass mug can also hold other hot cocktails and drinks like mulled wine and spiked mulled cider

Highball Glass
These hold 8 or 9 fl oz and are designed to hold highball drinks, iced drinks or a carbonated mixer. Sometimes known as a cooler glass.

Martini Glass
A tall version of the cocktail glass, this glass most used to serve martinis.

Cocktail Glass
The cocktail glass has a wide inverted cone shape bowls which allows for aromatics to reach the drinker's nose and to keep the drink chilled without using ice.

Margarita Glass
A variation of the coupe, this glass usually holds margarita, other frozen drinks or food appetisers like the shrimp cocktail.

Tumbler/Old Fashioned
These glasses can come in many shapes, as long as they are flat on the bottom. Use for 'on the rocks' drinks, wine, or drinks like the Gin & Tonic.

Tory Pratt